Wednesday 24 August 2011

Waking Up (4)


Final Model

For my final 1:5 model i was looking to replicate the effect that i obtained from the draft model that i made inthe weekends. Dermott and Padma (my tutors) seemed to really like the idea of semi-translucency/opacity in the material of the walls. Therefore i was set upon a task to find an appropriate material that i could use to make the proper realistic 1:5 model.

I decided that i would use fibreglass for my final model. It fulfilled what i was looking for in the optimum material. Fibreglass is robust and does not break easily. It is also a relatively light-weight material, allowing for easy transportation. Also, i was under the impression that fibreglass is also slightly translucent; similar to the draft "wall" that i made.

Making the Model

As it is very difficult to manufacture fibreglass in such a short time, in a home environment, i went and summoned the help of a fibreglass making company to assist me with the making of my model. (AC Fibreglass)
After some scavenging and looking around, i was able to find a suitable mould for making the fibreglass out of.
My piece of fibreglass looked like this:



This piece of fibreglass is the base of my sleeping pod. As i stated earlier, for my augmented reality model the detail which i wanted to show was the wall (and the material of it) and its relationship to the "concealed door".

Therefore i decided to cut this model in half, and between the two halves, have the "door".

I took the model down to the workshop to cut in half, using the bandsaw.





No comments:

Post a Comment